Sunday, May 25, 2014

So, we decided to go for Korean food...

I should probably start this post with the fact that my partner and I have been living in Anchorage about three years, now, and are just starting to explore the little niches that make urban living, worth it. I say "worth it", because we were previously forest hermits in Fairbanks, twelve miles outside of Fairbanks, proper, in that little haven called Goldstream Valley. Anyway, it has been an interesting couple of year adapting to our new surroundings, up to and including our little slice of what I like to call suburbia hell. Soon to come: a post on our new-found life mission of, "get rid of the grass and grow some food".
Back on topic: we've been ranging out, trying to discover what great little spots there are within walking distance - and redefining 'walking distance', in the process. So far, we've discovered that Red Robin actually carries Boca patties - probably not a revelation for some, but it was for me. The local hipster dives in our neighborhood are more like biking distance, but Midnight Sun Brewery has an AWESOME hummus and veggie sandwich (named Peace Out); and when they have tofu (not of late, though), there are tacos to be had, of the epic variety, with fresh muddled-avo guac, house pico, and great, great, unfiltered, vegan-friendly beers. 

Our latest discovery is Korean Garden, a well-appointed little place in a strip mall off Dimond. I love Korean food, and was totally stoked to learn there was a restaurant that specialized in it, so close by. I ordered the only things that did not list meat as ingredients - a vegetable roll (sushi-style, and literally labeled, 'vegetable roll'), and tofu jige (piping hot kimchi stew with tofu). My partner, being the wiser of the two of us, specifies "no meat, no eggs", in her dish. 

The veggie roll arrives, and it is stuffed with rice, carrots, steamed spinach, pickled daikon radish......vienna sausage, eggs, surimi (fake crab), and fish cake. I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Our main dishes arrive, and Dael's bibimbap is perfectly meat and egg-free, complete with hot sauce and hot stone bowl, but her side soup (daikon), is comprised mostly of smoked pork broth. Mine? Smells off, as soon as I get a whiff. What I find - tofu, kimchi, onions, assorted veggies, rice starch cake...and about a cup-and-a-half of full-fat shredded smoked pork loin. My fault for not specifying "no meat" (even if it wasn't listed in the ingredients), but I get the feeling that it would have tasted of pig, anyway. Hope you enjoy your treats, Bou and Lacuna. I don't think we'll be going back there. Much better luck at VIP in Midtown, where they are more familiar with vegetarian diets, at the very least.

Moral of the story: ASSUME NOTHING, and go to VIP in Midtown Anchorage, if you want vegan Korean food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment