Sunday, August 17, 2014

So, I've been slacking...

But, to be fair, there's not much to report. Well, other than every other (formerly) veg-friendly restaurant in the Midtown area swapping their menu around and becoming more and more meat-heavy. I'm looking at you, Bear Tooth (Grill side), and you, too, Taproot (once the home of the BEST vegan portlbello mushroom cap burger in town!).

Does the world really need one more 'bacon-wrapped'-anything? Do we need any more cheese-steeped-in-cream-and-more-cheese sauce? I mean, come on, Anchorage. You're one of two major college towns in Alaska, and you're cutting back on veg-friendly items? Le sigh...


In other news, I am also trying to hammer out (pun intended) a bunch of house projects before snow flies, and getting ready for another semester of prerequisites, and working too much, and, and, and....

There are other things. Like the fact that I'm becoming discouraged with people that I've known for over fifteen years. People that I'd believed in, and trusted. Who told me that they believed in an evidence-based approach to EVERYTHING...except, apparently, the effects their diet has on the impoverished (I am speaking of the countries that produce cereals/grains for animals that are butchered), the environment, their bodies, the ever-dwindling water supply on this one inhabitable planet of ours. 

When asked for citations and proof of their proudly-touted "scientific fact" that humans are meant to be omnivorous, they get irrationally angry, and call me antagonistic. When I mention there is at least as much data supporting a vegan diet as more healthy than an omnivorous one (after being asked for my proof), they tell me that I'm shoving my "personal beliefs" down their throat. Is there no way out of this impasse? I don't believe in 'unfriending' people for a difference in opinion, but I do not believe in not calling someone on what, to me, is blatant hypocrisy. 

Suggestions? Comments? Constructive criticism? I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment